Is Our Sharing Economy Creating New Risks For You?
We live in a digital world that now allows us to share our possessions, including our car, bike, boat, apartment, and even our home, for profit with total strangers. Smartphones, and the applications that can be added, offer many useful tools for sharing, but some of these things create new and increased liability for you. Before you decide to jump into the sharing economy, consider the following:
- If you use Airbnb to sublease your apartment, you might check your lease. Many lease agreements have “no sublease” clauses that do not allow for this kind of activity. In addition, some big cities are now actually considering outlawing the Airbnb services as it reduces hotel/motel taxes.
- Homeowner’s insurance will not cover rental property. You need insurance when you do not occupy the same residence as your tenant. You will also need special insurance if you are renting out your own home temporarily, or sharing accommodations such as your basement level, with a renter.
- Uber offers a taxi service where individuals can offer rides to those who subscribe. Are you confident that these individuals have had proper background checks? Are they experienced drivers? Do they have the correct insurance? Remember, even in states that have mandatory auto insurance laws, over 25% of drivers do not have insurance.
- Commercial auto insurance should be considered if using your car for hire. There is a big difference in the auto insurance world between a carpool for work and being paid to deliver people.
- If you rent your primary home to others, it may limit your personal insurance coverage. Call our office for a review.
The new sharing economy will most likely continue and can be a good way to make money. However, if you have an uninsured claim, the cost to you may be much greater than your profits. Be aware that using these services may increase your risk of loss.
A professional insurance agent can help educate you on your risks, review your current program, and then create an individualized plan to fit your needs.
While the massive national agencies spend millions on television ads and offer barebones policies, they do not know you. When your needs change or your situation complicates, you don’t want an automated phone tree or cold cyber-agent. You want to talk to compassionate, honest insurance experts – that’s our team. You shouldn’t have to spend hours researching and comparing policies. Let the specialists at Reichley guide you through the complex insurance industry.
Call today to alleviate the worry and get covered – (937) 429-0655.